Regardless of the temps outside, I love soup! However it is especially nice to enjoy a hot bowl during the frigid winter months. This butternut squash crab bisque is definitely one of my favs! It’s ridiculously easy to make, and the presentation makes it look restaurant fancy.
3 tbs. bacon fat (or cooking oil of choice)
1 yellow onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups chicken bone broth (or chicken stock of your choice)
4 cups peeled & cubed butternut squash
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
2 cups crab meat (reserve a little for garnish)
olive oil – for drizzle on top
chives for garnish
1. In a large pot saute chopped onion and minced garlic in bacon fat until onion is translucent.
2. Add chopped butternut squash and pour in broth.
3. Boil the squash in the broth until tender.
4. Add coconut milk, cinnamon, parsley, salt (and optional paprika) to pot and use an immersion blender to mix. *(If you don’t have an immersion blender use a food processor.)
5. Add crab to pot and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Serve with a lump of crab, drizzle of olive oil and chives.
*The key to the flavor of this bisque, in my opinion, is the chicken bone broth. It’s not only healthier than any boxed or canned stock, but it’s honestly one million times more flavorful. It’s really easy to make as well. If you’ve never made your own, follow these simple directions. You won’t believe the flavor difference!
*The smoked paprika is optional. For those that are following the autoimmune paleo protocol you can leave it out. If you can tolerate nightshades, the paprika adds a little heat which is a nice contrast to the sweetness of the squash. But it tastes just as great without it.